In this article we are going to look at a group of mobile printing technologies (for Android and Apple smartphones/tablets) that HP calls by the term HP ePrint.
Most of these HP ePrint technologies use cloud based resources to provide mobile printing capabilities for specific HP ePrint-enabled printers and Multi Function Printers (MFP).
The following are a list of printing technologies that make up HP ePrint:
- HP ePrint via Email
- HP ePrint Public Printing Locations
- HP ePrint Enterprise
- HP ePrint Wireless Direct Printing
- Apple AirPrint
- HP ePrint Mobile App
HP ePrint via Email
Any HP printer that has internet connection can use HP ePrint via Email. This feature allows you to print from literally anywhere in the world (with internet connection access) from your printer’s unique email address.
HP’s ePrint email solution is as simple as attaching your photos or documents to an email message that you forward to a web-connected printer using any device with an Internet connection.
HP ePrint via Email is a feature of many modern HP printers, and MFPs. Models that enable printing documents attached to email messages sent to the device. In addition HP ePrint via Email does not require a print driver installed on the client.
It is compatible with many current inkjet models and over 200+ HP Legacy printer models such as:
- HP Photosmart
- HP Envy
- HP Officejet Pro
- HP LaserJet
- HP Officejet
- HP Deskjet
- HP Designjet
You can find an up to date list of printers here: HP ePrint Printer List
HP ePrint Public Printing Locations
HP ePrint Public Printing Locations is meant for people who use printers while traveling. Essentially you can use a special HP smartphone app to send your documents/images to a local business to print for you.
HP ePrint Public Print Locations works very similar to HP ePrint via Email in that the user submits a print job to the printer as an email attachment. The difference is that the user finds the email address of the printing device using the HP ePrint Service app, which finds and displays public print locations based on the GPS location of the user.
This is a US based service with companies such as Walmart, FedEx and UPS stores offering the service.
- Download the HP ePrint Service App for Android smartphones or tablets – click here
- Download the HP ePrint Service App for the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch – click here
HP ePrint Enterprise
HP ePrint Enterprise is a private cloud printing solution for use in large networks and provides a mobile printing option for people, such as mobile workers, who travel from office to office and need printing at remote locations.
The same HP ePrint Service app used for HP ePrint Public Printing Locations is also compatible with HP ePrint Enterprise. It enables users to submit print jobs to private company printers or to public print locations.
HP ePrint Wireless Direct Printing
HP ePrint Wireless Direct Printing is a feature that allows Wi-Fi capable devices, such as smartphones and tablets, to make a wireless network connection directly to a printer without using a wireless router or access point.
Simply connect to a printer’s HP wireless direct signal the same way you connect a Wi-Fi capable device to a new wireless network or hotspot.
Some printers have implemented HP wireless direct with two modes: “Print only” and “Open”. If “Print Only” mode is selected, only the print function will be available. If “Open” mode is selected, all of the printer features will be available, with exception of photo uploads and memory card access.
Here are a few important things to know about HP ePrint Wireless Direct Printing:
- The HP wireless direct connection supports up to five clients at the same time.
- You can turn HP wireless direct on and off from the HP wireless direct menu on the printer display. HP wireless direct is turned off by default. You can also check the HP wireless direct name or password—if you chose to enable HP wireless direct with security—from the HP wireless direct menu. The HP wireless direct network name will have the format “HP-Print-**-<printer model>”. The “**” characters are a placeholder to represent two characters used to uniquely identify your printer, and <printer model> will be the model of your printer.
- If you turn HP wireless direct on with security (available on some printers), an 8-digit WPA2 password will be automatically generated. In order to connect, the Wi-Fi-capable device must also support WPA2 encryption. This password can be accessed on the printer display at any time after you turn this feature on.
- HP wireless direct is available even if the printer is also connected to a network or by a USB cable.
- You cannot access the Internet through the HP wireless direct connection.
Initialy this was an Apple and HP collaboration to develop a technology that would allow any Apple iOS device to print to many HP printers. Today, however, you will see Apple AirPrint used by many other manufacturers as a wireless print technology. HP considers Apple AirPrint as part of the HP ePrint portfolio of mobile printing solutions.
All HP ePrint printers and MFPs are Apple AirPrint compatible. For an upto date list – click here
HP ePrint Mobile App
HP have merged 3 of their apps, HP ePrint App / HP ePrint Service App / HP ePrint and Share App, into one modern app called the HP ePrint Mobile App.
Print from your smartphone or tablet:
- Locally over Wi-Fi
- Virtually anywhere via the Cloud to a web-connected HP ePrint printer
- Directly to an HP wireless direct supported printer
Get The HP ePrint Mobiles Apps
The HP ePrint mobile app is available for Apple iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch running iOS 4.2 or later and for Android mobile devices running OS 2.2 and later. You can easily print your digital content wirelessly to supported HP printers on a local wireless network.
- Download the HP ePrint App for Android smartphones or tablets – click here
- Download the HP ePrint App for the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch – click here
Please note however that this mobile printing app does NOT support as many printers and using the HP ePrint via Email does. Discover which printers have HP ePrint mobile app printer support in our: HP ePrint App Printer list
You Might Also Like To Read:
Inkjet or Laser Printing: Which is More Cost Effective?
Printing With Fire Instead Of Ink
What Does the Weight of Paper Mean?
Ink Cartridges: Original, Compatible or Recycled?
HP PageWide Technology
Printer Maintenance Tips